Monday, October 21, 2013

another project of the fall...

Can you believe it? October is almost OVER! Seems like yesterday we were all just basking in the sunshine of summer with the horrid heat that made you crave cooler temperatures...(and then there's those people--not me--who, when that happens, want the warm weather back for some odd reason)

In a previous post, I told y'all what my fall schedule looked like, mainly the ones regarding teaching. While it's only been about three weeks and I've only taught twice, the Sunday school series with the teenage girls is going well. I quickly learned that, since it's very discussion-based, that I can't actually hover over them and teach from the podium, so yesterday I sat along with them. We had a visitor who was top-notch in our discussion, and I really felt that it prompted some of the other girls to talk--just what I'd been hoping and praying for!

Hopefully, she'll come back, along with one of our girls who had only been coming on Wednesday nights. It's still weird/intimidating/humbling to realize that as I stand there, I'm making some sort of impact in their lives, but I just want these girls to see Christ in me and look beyond what I have to say.

The curriculum for the kiddos!
And this Sunday, I get to head back to our little guys during the second hour of services. Their little smiles and enthusiasm puts a smile on my face and I just love it! Our new curriculum is amazing as well, especially since it provides you with a TON of activities that go along with the lesson to keep their minds engaged.

But enough of that. One of the big projects coming up is Treatsville, our annual Halloween alternative at the church. This year, my mom and I felt led to take on the role of facilitators, so we've been able to meet with the church staff to see what needs to be done.

Our Treatsville logo, made by my sister Cynthia!
Four years ago, I ran the event, which includes games inside our facility and trunk-or-treat in the parking lot. We also have a face painting group that comes for the event, and obviously, we stock these kids up with a ton of candy and then send them on their way. It's a ton of work, but I feel that this event is vital in being a witness to our community and letting the town know that we care about them, even with something like this. And we wouldn't be doing our job if we didn't share the Gospel, so our goal is that every child that comes through our event is given a tract.

We had a meeting yesterday that had a great turnout with awesome volunteers who are willing to help out--I'm so thankful for that! Now the fun part begins with getting all the games together and set up, making sure we have all the candy, treats and cokes we need and ensuring that we have enough people. I've been challenged by God for some time on how our church can reach our community, and Treatsville is a great place to start in this mission field of Sweetwater.

Me at last year's event with Mom, Cynthia & friends Jennifer & Kathy

So again, I covet your prayers during this continued time of teaching and ongoing preparation and facilitating and such. And just as that project rolls around and ends, I've got a couple more things lined up to take part in. I'll give you a hint (or two): it's all about the wedded bliss...and I can tell you it's NOT for me!

Much love! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment