Wednesday, October 9, 2013

day two of the blogging challenge.


Um...so what if I have a LOT of them?...

I don't say that so people will feel sorry for me, but to be completely candid. And I hope that doesn't come across as completely pathetic (though I'm sure it does), but up until recently, I've been that person who has thought that singleness sucks.

(I'm sure there will be more days in the future when I will think that being single sucks, but my hope and prayer is that those days either don't come at all, or just few and far between)

Yeah, there's plenty of things and activities that I've been able to accomplish and take part of as a single, and they've been great opportunities, but as of late, I've begun to fully embrace singleness and actually navigate my way through it instead of just waiting for the future hubs to come into my life so that my "life can actually begin."

...I can think of the time I ended up being a SEVENTH WHEEL (yes, it actually does exist) in college when my friends and I went bowling.

Or the time that I wanted a date for the eighth grade banquet and some girls I hung out with said that they'd try to get the guy to dance with me. Short long story: He didn't, and I cried.

Or those years when I went to the Christmas Banquet at Bible college with my friends because I hadn't been asked by anyone. (although I was able to throw a massively AWESOME dance party that last year...)

Or when I went to a friend's wedding with my friends instead of with that guy I liked (who was actually at the wedding himself, but I'm sure we were probably at a point when we weren't really talking to each other).

There's also those times in high school (and probably even during middle school) when I wanted to be asked by someone to be their Homecoming date (though I look back now and thank the Lord that didn't happen--but back then, I didn't feel so great about it).

...I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that stick out to me--the one's I'll always remember. And if any more come to mind, I'll probably update this post. But to sum it up, the moments when it sucks being single is when you're enjoying life, and all you want is someone else to enjoy it with you. Whether it's just looking at a sunset and being able to sit silently with someone else, listening to your favorite song (fast or slow) and just wanting someone to dance with, watching a movie and having someone to cuddle with...that's when it hits.

But at the same time, for some reason or another that's been crafted by God Himself, He wants you to enjoy that moment alone. Maybe it's just to marvel at His creation, dive more into the craft of music to hone your God-given talent, or just be thankful that you're actually able to see a movie. And in those moments, simply be able to dwell in the fullness of God--with Him, and Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment