Monday, September 30, 2013

(some of my) fall projects

So I just found this quote on Twitter, and I just wanted to share it with y'all. It's prompted me to FINALLY share what's been on my heart and mind lately.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." - Leo Buscaglia
Teaching the Day 1 lesson at VBS! Photo credit: my editor! :)
To be honest, I've never thought of my ability to publicly speak and/or teach as a talent. It's come pretty natural to me for as long as I can remember. I enjoyed (oddly enough) giving speeches in high school and especially the Public Speaking class I took in Bible college (Dr. Beck, though, was an EXCELLENT teacher). This past summer when I taught the lessons at VBS (Vacation Bible School), I actually received a compliment about how well I did...especially because I was known by this person as very quiet and reserved.


I think the difference, though, in public speaking versus teaching is not only the amount of prep work (to an extent) but the impact it can make in someone's life. When a speech is given, it's mainly for the sake of informing someone--or in most people's case, for the sake of a letter grade. But when it's teaching, the words are intended to offer information for application.

And right now, that intimidates me.

This Sunday, I get to take on two different but undeniably exciting ventures. The Sunday school hour will allow me to teach the girls in our youth group in a ten-week series specifically geared to them and is (thankfully) relevant to today's culture. I've seen God at work leading up to this in a number of ways, including my own life. Had this situation arisen even just a year ago, I would have said no. But the ways of the Father are so much greater than mine, and He led me to a ministry I never would have included in my LifeGoal and/or future plans.

Then in the morning worship service, I get to spend the hour (or longer, depending on when the preaching wraps up) with the little bitty guys--our 2 year olds through kindergarten students. This teaching opportunity/ministry will be every other week to give both us teachers time to be ministered to, as that is just as vital as taking part in ministry. I've always had a love in my heart for this age group (they're absolutely ADORABLE!), and I count it a privilege to have a part in introducing God to these little ones.

Like I said, it's exciting to me, but intimidating and admittedly, I'm a bit fearful. Whether it's an expression of my anticipation or a distraction from Satan, I really can't tell. But I'm scared that what I teach won't be grasped or understood, that my time in preparing won't be enough, and that I might end up at a point where I feel that the ministries (along with other things I'm involved in) will overwhelm me to the point that I lose this passion for doing it.

Yet as I write this, God is already calming my worrisome heart. 

It's my job to teach, but His Spirit will lead and work in the lives of all the students so they can understand.

I'll have to work on time management and avoid procrastination, but God will work it out to where the time He gives me is what He wants for my preparation.

He said He'd never give me more than I can handle, so He'll give and take opportunities as He sees fit. And as long as I'm centered in His will, He'll give me a joy to continue serving Him.

So can I ask you to pray for me, especially in this week as I prepare to take on these new roles? Again, I'm thrilled that "he counted me faithful [and put] me into the ministry" (a verse I was introduced to when a teenage boy preached--and one I've always been intrigued by, probably just for this moment in my life). 

And I feel like a parrot, but I just want to be used by Him in this season of singleness. I'm not saying that if I wasn't single or had a family of my own that I wouldn't be involved in this manner...I'm just saying that since He hasn't given me those things (either now or never), He's instead given me the time to fully invest in these ministries. 

His timing is always perfect--something I have to continually remember. His ways are bigger than mine--and for that, I'm thankful. 

The first of my Fall Projects are just beginning, and I can't wait to share with you how it all unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment