Okay, so I have to use the same response from Day 2's challenge--what if I have a lot of them?It kind of goes without saying that singlehood has its perks, but for the sake of the blog I'm gonna tell you what some of them are.
I take some pleasure not having to take responsibility for someone else. In college, I read the book "Dateable" and this one quote always stuck with me. It raised the question, "Are you really ready to be in a relationship?" with the following response, "Then get ready to start thinking about someone else besides yourself." At times I use the quote as a measuring stick for my maturity (or sometimes, lack thereof) and to see if I'm really, truly ready to take part in that beautiful pursuit called "having a boyfriend".
![]() |
| The theater I walked to with my friends Emily & Amanda! |
My friends and I even would go and work out on several occasions and then would come back and raid the TV room. One time, I even said no to the hottest guy on campus when he asked to me to go back to that same gym and work out with him (because somehow, we were friends...). I'm pretty sure my answer/excuse was "No, I want to watch Grey's Anatomy instead," and then the next day my friend--in all her confusion and disbelief--said, "You said no to working out with him?"
Indeed, I had.
![]() | |
| Easter weekend with Vanessa, Mattie, Jessi, Rick, Phil, Seth, Josh & Josh |
And today, that same aspect of traveling makes singleness awesome. Without the (current) responsibility of a relationship, marriage and/or children, I'm able to just head out with the family to visit my brothers and sisters (in-law), and ESPECIALLY my niece and nephews. My singleness also makes money on these trips easier to spend...and obviously a lot more quicker--I'm still deciding if that's a good or bad thing.
But as far as a "moment" of amazingly awesome singleness?...
I think I'd have to say I'm living it right now.
My current growth in Jesus, I believe, wouldn't have been possible had I been in a relationship. Although this growth (in part) is dealing with singleness/relationships, God has really allowed me to learn more about His Word and the single most important relationship that I MUST have...the one with Him.
...Seeing what breaks His heart and how I can be used for His Great Commission.
Learning how to constantly "pray without ceasing" and not just, "I'm close to God so it's understood that I'm always in an attitude of prayer".
And determining what ministries He's calling me to be part of and how I can do my part to ensure that I've offered my absolute BEST to him to bring glory to His name...
As these and so many other things continue to be revealed to me by Him, I can say that this one-on-one time with God has been eye-opening. I have to remember this too, because there have been/sometimes are/will be days when I think that singleness is for the birds and I'll get "lonely" because of a lack of a male person to go to with my problems, when I should be going to the Father.
I don't know how long this moment of "awesome singleness" will last, but for now, my prayer is that while I'm here I'll learn as much as possible and cling to my Jesus as strongly as I can.


No comments:
Post a Comment