Hello all! I trust that this week has gone well for you. Last weekend I had the chance to get out of town (YES!!) and fellowship it up with some ladies from church. Take a read at this week's column to learn all about it!
original publication date: Friday, January 30, 2015
Random Writer
Getting away
Sometimes, it’s just nice to get away for a little bit.
Thank the Lord I was able to do that this past weekend, when a group of ladies from church and I headed west to the Fresh Grounded Faith conference. We had planned this trip in the fall, when I actually spoke up for once and mentioned that we as a church should attend this conference. I became familiar with it in Bible college when a group of friends invited me to join them, and it was fabulous. So years later, when the nearby venue appeared in my email inbox and ideas were needed for ladies’ ministry activities, I couldn’t keep quiet.
And like always, the Devil likes to try and throw wrenches into our plans, as the weather last week leading up to the conference was looking like travel wouldn’t be the best idea. But God cleared up the winter conditions and by Friday afternoon, I joined the second caravan of ladies and headed to Midland.
While she was only able to be there on Friday night, Ann Voskamp mesmerized me. When she took the stage and confessed to being an introvert, I already related to her. And we share the same craft of writing too, although I can only imagine being that talented. But as her Spirit-filled words reverberated and fell on the crowd, she encouraged us to find gifts in everything...everyday living. That when we allow our joy to be taken, we also allow our strength to be taken. And she stressed that “the hard things will be for good; the good things will be forever; the best things are forthcoming.”
Leading worship during the weekend was Meredith Andrews. I may have only heard one of her songs before the weekend, but now I’ve added her to my “New Jesus Music” playlist. Not only was she talented, but I loved watching how she allowed the Holy Spirit to lead her as she performed and while she led us in corporate worship. The songs we sang together were uplifting, and the ones she sang to us were beautiful reminders of how God is always with us. And when she joined the keynote speaker for a “Spill the Beans” session, she backed up what she had to say with Scripture, which is something all Christ-followers, regardless of gender, should do when giving advice to others.
Speaking of our keynote speaker, the testimony of Jennifer Rothschild inspires me. Born with vision, she started losing her sight at age 15 and is completely blind today. But she doesn’t allow her disability to hinder her work for Christ. It was so moving to hear how she came to the realization of finding God not only in the potential of healing but in the reality of her blindness. We as ladies were encouraged to carry the characteristics of Tigger--to hold on to that “yes” mentality--instead of the negative mindset like Eeyore (though I have to admit, he’s my favorite character from the Hundred-Acre Wood).
And the Devil doesn’t just use things like the weather to be potential hindrances. Candidly speaking, I found myself on the road to the conference on Friday with discouraging thoughts. “I’ve accepted how You worked in my life, but I wish I could understand why You worked that particular way in my life,” I told God on Friday afternoon and even on Saturday morning getting ready for the conference. But through the guests at the conference and the ministering of the Holy Spirit, He made it clear. It’s not for me to understand, but for me to believe that His work in my life will promote the glory of God. That the way He works--regardless of whether I like it or not--proves that He never leaves us or forsakes us (Hebrews 13:5).
The theme verse for the conference was 2 Corinthians 1:20 (NASB, emphasis mine): “For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us.” In God, there is no limit to the promises He has for us, which will be demonstrated in different ways to each person.
So whether it’s the reminder of the thousands of gifts He gives, the way that music can minister to the soul, the delivery of Biblical truth, or even the still, small voice that whispers answers to the questions that linger in a troubled spirit, all these things seemed to come together this weekend to allow sisters in Christ to get away from the ordinary and meet with an extraordinary God. To allow ladies from the same church to know each other better in beautiful fellowship. And allow this “random writer” to bask in the promises and never-ending presence of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment