Happy New Year, y'all! Here in good ol' West Texas, we've dealt with some freezing temperatures and wintry mixes, which have helped in rearranging work schedules and canceling our church youth group's winter retreat (sad face). I hope that wherever you are, you're staying safe and warm.
Because I thought I'd be out of the office this week and wouldn't have much time to get a column done, I'm taking a look back at 2014 in this week's piece. Whether you relate to it or not, I hope you enjoy it and pass it along. Thanks for joining me on this ride, dear friends!
original publication date: Friday, January 2, 2015
Random Writer
The year that was
Ah, 2014. If there was every a year that captured every emotion, every high and low, it was you. You were probably the most challenging year of my life and even as I write it all down this week, I struggle to actually define this year.
In this column space, I've been able to share some of the great things I took part in last year, like my experience at the Passion Conference in Houston in February and attending the Rock the Desert concert in Midland in August. In these instances, I know beyond anything that God poured His wisdom and truth into my soul through music and Scripture. They were eye-opening events where I could feel His presence, which is a good and bad thing. Because when the "feelings" start to fade, you begin wondering why that spiritual high can't be maintained, while at the same time you know that those mountain-top experiences aren't meant to remain forever, but serve as a catalyst to even more wisdom and truth from God.
And in some of my columns, I've briefly shared a few things that took place over the course of 2014, like working with the youth in church. Not only did we go to summer camp, but to our first winter retreat as well last year. We also had some awesome theme nights during our Wednesday gatherings like Pancakes, PJs and Praise (pretty self-explanatory) and Super Wednesday where we dressed like superheroes. For that night, I even borrowed an idea from my time in Bible college and made a 64-seed superhero bracket--like NCAA March Madness--to see who would be victorious. (If you're curious, Thor was the winner.)
But there were a couple columns where I only offered a glimpse into my personal life, because they dealt with the valleys of life and I didn't want to cross the self-made line of oversharing. There have been times in the last four months of 2014 where honestly, I struggled to understand my God and the way He worked in my life. I found myself frustrated with my Lord because the things I wanted in my life didn't come to fruition--which I believed were good things and even stemmed from a God-given desire. I had spent three months in intense prayer, and after the storm, I didn't know how to approach Him and commune with the Father; I was scared at what He had to say or what plan He had for my life.
In several cases, I think my emotions got the better of me this past year. It's like half the year was viewed from rose-colored lenses in a state of elation, but the rest was examined in a realist perspective in the midst of sadness and frustration. Songs and memories and the smallest thing can bring a smile to your face and/or tears to the eyes, but God's provision and time prove to be healers and months later, you find yourself emerging from the valley and trekking toward a new journey.
So as I look ahead to 2015, I'm excited to see what God has in store. Part of me wants to forget the past year while the other half realizes that both the good and bad times taught me things that have forever changed me. Instead of blocking an old song out of my head that's filled with bittersweet memories, I want a new song to resonate in my heart. I want to make new memories. I want to view all twelve months of 2015 through the lens of the Father--not just when things are going great, but also when I sense that our relationship isn't where it needs to be because I've slipped away from Him.
And for you, dear reader, I pray that God does excellent things in your life this year in 2015--through teaching, wisdom and blessings big and small. Because when we set our sights on Him and Him alone, His hand of protection will be on us--in the midst of joy and sorrow--while His love and truth overwhelm us and hopefully bring us to full surrender.
No comments:
Post a Comment