Hi friends! It's an exciting day here at the blog, because today's column marks the 100TH! published post in my little corner of the world :) Take a look at what made #100. I hope it ministers to you and that you'll share it with others. Thanks again for joining me on this writing journey!
original publication date: Friday, January 23, 2015
Random Writer
My emotional compass
One of the (many) weaknesses I recognize within myself is that I’m driven by the energy and emotions of others. I learned this in Bible college when I spent one spring semester entirely pumped about our college class and everything that was going on with our class. But when summer arrived, and it wound up being me and no more than five other people in class because everyone went back home or on mission trips or did internships, that enthusiasm wasn’t there.
I remember pondering this new (or at least, new to me) attribute about myself, and I really didn’t like it. First, I didn’t like this emotional slump that I found myself in. The high energy within the class was gone, and I never thought of myself as one to bring energy; it came from other people and I grabbed onto it and ran with it.
But I didn’t like that my emotional state stemmed from other people either. I think part of me wanted to dismiss this notion, but any doubts were squashed when August appeared on the calendar and slowly, some of my class members came back to campus and that momentum grew, leading up to the new school year. Yes, we had lost some of the members from last year, but overall, I was part of a group of early twentysomethings who were excited to worship and minister and be ministered to.
I’d like to say that I’ve outgrown that weakness, but if anything, I just recognize it even more today. I probably use it as an excuse more often than I should. If I find myself around apathetic people, I consciously and easily slip into the crowd. If I happen to be at a church where the congregation is fully aware and welcoming of the Holy Spirit, then trust me, I want to be part of that and completely immerse myself. I’d like to think that I’m not the only one who does this, but at times I fear that I’m one of just a few people who are driven by the energy and emotions of others.
And beyond that, I’ve started to notice that it doesn’t have to be a group of people, but I’ve started to let the emotions of a single person take over my emotional compass. Is someone near me tense or worried? Well then, I’ve begun to carry that within me as well. Is a loved one hurting? I find myself hurting as well.
And what do you do when that happens? James 5:13 and 16 (NASB) say, “Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray...[P]ray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.” And Galatians 6:2 (NASB) also points out, “Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.”
So maybe carrying these feelings--whether it’s from a person or a group of people--isn’t a bad thing. Maybe God allows me to sense the emotions of others in an effort to take my eyes off my own life and problems and desires, so that I can focus on the needs and concerns of others. In several instances in Scripture, we find that Christ had compassion on others. And if we as Christ-followers really want to follow Him, then we’ll do what we can to love and care for others the way He loves and cares for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment