Thursday, August 29, 2013

Thought-Provoking Thursday

If you haven't noticed by now, I'm quite a nostalgic person.

I have this problem of not only looking back at my past, but dwelling on it. A lot of times, I remember the good times and long for them. Sometimes, I reflect on the bad times, and while I know that I've learned something from them, at times those emotions come back and they seem to indwell me for a moment.

These past couple days have been like that.

The photos that include the white people make me smile :)

Some of it has stemmed from yesterday's news of the 50th anniversary of the "I Have a Dream" speech. I watched the news last night and was awe-inspired at it, wondering what it would have been like to be in that crowd as a part of history.

But as I watched the videos, I wondered: what would MLK think about our society today? Would he be pleased with the strides that have been made? Or, had he been alive, would he have made similar comments like Bill Cosby did about his race as a whole--and would he have been reprimanded in the same way?

Some of it, though, is personal. Most recently, it's seemed as if my past--in some aspects--is being replicated in the present. Call it "deja vu" or whatever, but these little things come up and I'm like "Wow. That's EXACTLY like so-and-so...CREEPY." or scenarios come up and I think to myself "I totally went through this in college. What can I do differently?"

"What did I learn then that I can apply now to have a better outcome, especially one that brings God glory?"

I miss my D2 girls! (we NEVER got a floor photo) =(
Today, I'm wondering aloud about the people in my life. I wonder why God would place some people in my life and what their purpose was while I interacted with them. While I believe some were placed just for mere companionship and friendship, I think about the timing--some of them I still keep in contact with, but with others I've lost contact, and that's what makes me a bit pensive.

And as a girl, I question (like all girls do...come on, admit it) about why particular guys were placed into my life. In my life, I have to say that one guy essentially inspired me to a personal height of literary greatness. It inspired my book, a handful of poetry and even a song I wrote--lyrics, music, the whole kit and caboodle.

I realized this in the midst of and after that friendship, and I have to say, I think that was God's plan (well, at least part of it.). But after all that, I smile to myself. Because if someone could impact me so much--notably towards the good--and that's not the person God had intended for me to be with, my heart can't even BEGIN to fathom how much my future husband (if that's part of God's will for my life) will impact me not just as a person, but the way he will help me to grow in Christ in my pursuit of serving and honoring the Father.

Maybe all of this isn't meant to be questioned. Or, maybe it is. But regardless, whatever comes my way, my prayer is that He'll get the glory and use every situation to allow me to grow and cling to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment