I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I really struggled in the planning of this year's Vacation Bible School.
First, I blame myself, because I'll admit that I'm a procrastinator. I've actually read the article about writers being procrastinators because as long as we have a deadline set, we can wait until right before said deadline to produce something. Anything. That's probably something I need to work on, but...we'll see.
I'm the church's VBS director, and this year was my second consecutive year to do it. I directed my first VBS in 2009, but these last two programs have been completely different from my first go-round because I don't use pre-bought programs. Instead, I write our curriculum by gathering a bunch of different games and songs and crafts and snacks that I find in our church resource room or Pinterest (which has been a LIFE. SAVER!) and making leader guides with it all. Yes, I know that's a TON of added pressure, but with so many churches buying the programs and fear of repetitious programs being done in town, I think it's beneficial to be original. Because no one's taken part in our program when they visit our VBS.
But the next part of it is due to my chronologically-based mind. VBS had been planned for almost nine months ahead, but on my calendar, youth camp was scheduled before VBS, and this is where it got really hard for me.
My mind was trying to balance two different yet HUGE events, and it was difficult. Camp was the first full week of July, while VBS closed out the month. I wanted my heart to be geared toward praying for our students and getting ready for camp, but there was so much to get done for VBS that I knew my focus had to be on that. Candidly, it got to the point of being overwhelmed and for a moment there, I had lost the enthusiasm of VBS. I ended up making the conscious decision to, the week before camp, put a hold on all VBS prep until I returned.
And y'all already know about youth camp. It was great. But once we got back, I had two weeks to wrap up everything that needed to be done. And because of my procrastinator's mindset, there was A LOT to be done.
I made the decision to hold a Sunday through Thursday program this year. On that Sunday morning, as always, I had the preacher do a brief prayer dedication over our workers. Because if we can't give ourselves to God for this week, then there's no need to do it. Hilariously, as I walked up that Sunday, my brown sandal broke and I tried to hide in the pew instead of walking to the front like we did last year. But all the other workers started following me and we all ended up on the side of the auditorium.
God blessed me with great workers, and the ever-loving worry that always comes up with VBS is that I won't have enough workers. And this year, I was a mess thinking about it. But so many people reassured me that God knew what He was doing, that the workers we had would be just the right amount for the amount of students He wanted us to minister to.
And once again, He proved Himself faithful. But I admit that on Sunday night, I was really discouraged. Our records showed we only had 14 and I'd been hoping and praying for a number that was well above that. Thankfully, we had missed six other kids in our registration forms and ended up with 20 that first night! We grew by a few each night, but if we had a bunch more kids than the thirty that went through our program, I along with the workers probably would have been overwhelmed.
The other thing I changed this year was the addition of a Family Night to the last night of VBS. I wanted it to be a springboard to let people know that our church is here beyond VBS. Yes, I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off that afternoon, but I had a GREAT helper who assisted in getting the main building ready. And even that evening, I ran around trying to figure out what needed to be done and figuring out plans because oddly enough, I made a very vague schedule for the night. I ended up being the caller of our Bingo game (which I was HORRIBLE at) and we had to use Cheerios for markers because we didn't buy enough.
Our VBS theme was Christmas in July, which allowed the kids and workers and parents to decorate Christmas cookies that my mom made (which were DELICIOUS!). We even watched the Charlie Brown Christmas special while we had our meal. I loved it. :)
My editor also allowed me once again to have the Sunday Focus page to recap our program (thanks Tatiana!), so because I shared my own personal heart about the program "behind the scenes," here's what went down during our week:
Since we ended on Thursday, I "rested" on Friday (not really. I had to make up the bowling game we missed on Monday that Friday night), and spent Saturday tearing down the decorations and resetting the building for Sunday's services. That night was spent making our VBS recap video (below), where I accomplished a goal of bringing in some secular music to the church (haha).
So to those who are reading this, if you took part in this year's program, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love that we were able to minister together during this week and reach our city for Jesus by telling the story of His birth. You not only blessed my heart, but I know that God was blessed by your investment in the lives of these children. I'm excited to see what God will do in and through us next year in VBS.


No comments:
Post a Comment