Tuesday, January 7, 2014

the past seven days

Happy New Year, friends!

When I left you last time, I'd made the commitment to learn a verse a week in 2014. Thankfully, the first verse has been learned (PTL!):
Jeremiah 29:11 (KJV): For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
Also, my Taco Tuesday NYE (New Year's Eve) party went well, much better than I expected!  Food, games, fellowship & bringing in the New Year with church family was exceptional. 
Then, I just came back on Saturday from a three-day, two-night trip on our first annual winter retreat with our teenagers, which was totes amaze...I mean, a really great time (I'm not that young to use that phrase, tee hee). I'll quickly recap the fun in a few bullet points...
  • I got the opportunity to connect with the three teenage girls who went! I didn't want to smother them on the trip, and thankfully God allowed it to where I could get to know them--I even led our devos: yay!, and just let them know I'm there. 
  • It was COLD and WINDY, but that didn't stop us from enjoying the coffee, hot cocoa (or the combination, in my case) and all the activities. (I was really worried about getting a double-ear infection...because I failed to pack enough winter accessories) 

Picture I stole from Facebook--I'm on the far right on the platform!
  • I was able to help lead music during the two evening services, and that went great! It was AWESOME to hear the teens proclaim that "God's not dead" during that particular song in a spirit of worship. 
  • I'm still a chicken. Ziplining, as much fun as it is to watch others, just isn't my cup of tea (or coffee...) 
  • I did, however, take part in archery, and it was a blast! I'm just reallyyyy (yes, that many Y's are needed to express my delight) glad that the arrows didn't fall at my feet :) 
  • The lessons presented during the retreat were incredible! Not only did they challenge the students, but I found myself being convicted/challenged by them...and Lord knows, I need that.
  • And, I'm a kid at heart. I LOVED the fact that we got to watch Wreck-It Ralph (Fix-It Felix...my fave!). But I also love me a good superhero movie, which is why I thoroughly enjoyed watching The Avengers (even if there was so much talking that, at times, I couldn't hear the movie--hashtag: first world problems)
  • And while not necessarily spiritually-related to camp...this conversation made me smile: 
Two girl students from another church: "How old are you?" 
Me: "26." 
Girls: "Oh, we thought you were a student and not a counselor."

But overall, I'm just glad that we were able to take our teens and give them a nice getaway before school started. I'm thankful for each student that came--that we had the chance to spend time with them, get to know them and learn a little bit more about them. It gets me beyond excited for the opportunities we have to work with them this year, to get them to fall in love with Jesus and His ministry and service.
I hope that your 2014 has started off with a bang! Check out my Facebook to find out what verse I'll (or we--if you're joining me) be learning starting tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment