I have to tell you, straight up, that I'm excited for 2014.
This past year has been great--I've been challenged in different ways (some good, some bad), I've learned a lot, taken part in new ventures--which makes me feel that all of the craziness that is my life will just keep going past the 2013 calendar year into the new year. And while I really don't know what's ahead, I can say that as long as I have Jesus next to me (and I keep that beautiful truth in mind), it'll all be good.
For a while now, I've been challenged/convicted on a particular thing, however. In doing some personal Bible study and devotions, I'm come to the realization that, honestly, I feel like I don't know much about the Bible. Yes, I've been blessed to be raised in church and spend four years in Bible college and continue to be involved in church beyond my education years, and I know things about the Bible.
But actual verses? I don't know as many as I should, and that's kind of disappointed me in myself.
I admit to half-heartedly learning verses at Bible college, and the only reason I did it was to get the good grade. But, I couldn't tell you what they were if you said, "Quote "such-and-such" verse." There's probably a good chance that I would look at you and ask, "So you're telling me I learned that once?"
So after becoming convicted about learning some Scripture, and with it being this time of year, it's kind of becoming my unofficial New Year's resolution. But the next step...what verses am I going to learn?
That, my social-media and real-life friends...is where you come in.
For the past week, I've asked on Facebook and Twitter what YOUR favorite Bible verses are. I've got a decent response, and I'm thankful for that. Some are verses that I'd like to say I already know, but after putting them down on my list, I'm not very confident that I know them. And some of them, I already know, so my goal is to learn it in a different version. But my goal is to learn one a week, so I'm in need of some more (at least 52, so comment on my previous posts or message me on Facebook!).
And there's one final step to this new project, one that was just revealed to me in the past couple of days. On the week that I learn "your" verse, I want to make an effort to pray for you. Through the social media connections, we can interact so I can ask you what's going on in your life and any prayer requests that I can meet with the Father about. While I haven't prayed for anyone yet, already this morning I read a verse in my devotions and was like, "Ooh, that's so-and-so's verse!"
I share this project with you for two reasons. One, I want you guys to keep me accountable--online, in person, whatever. Losing weight or some resolution like that tends to be one that we falter on so easily, but this one involves God at a deep level, and I don't want to slack off on this commitment that totally involves Him. And two, I'm telling you in case you want to join in. I'll be sharing each week what the new verse is, and I think that a community effort is just awesome and helps with the whole accountability thing.
So will you pray for me? Join me? Do both? 2014 seems ripe with new possibilities and opportunities, so let's do this!

No comments:
Post a Comment