Faith Hill practically OWNS it, and it came out as part of the Jim Carrey "Grinch" movie. I've seen the video a few times, which includes bits of the movie itself and Faith singing. (I'll probably post it at the bottom of the blog so you can watch it.)
It's a rather somber tune, musically and lyrically. It's a longing for the holiday and all that encompasses it. Joy, laughter, the spirit of the celebration itself.
But this year, in some sorts, I find myself asking the same question as the song's title...
"Where are you, Christmas?"
Yes, I know that Jesus is the reason for the season--we celebrate His birth and read Luke 2 like the daily newspaper during this time, and there's nothing wrong with that. By God's awesomeness, I somehow started receiving Advent devotionals through my email. I had a fascination about Advent right after Thanksgiving, and once I got the first devo, I fell in love with the notion. It's simply waiting on Christ--the way the early believers did and the way we as Christians anxiously await His second coming, both in the fulfillment of prophecy.
Also, I've read the Biblical accounts that I've heard all my life. I've even been able to see the different perspectives of the characters in the story...Simeon, Anna, Joseph...the minor characters that writers like me love to delve into.
And I cling to the Word and I appreciate the anticipation of the season. But somehow, just like the song says, "My world is changing/I'm rearranging/Does that mean Christmas changes too?"
I barely listened to my Casting Crowns Christmas album this season in its entirety this week.
I haven't started my to-do list of Christmas cards.
I have yet to partake in my annual viewing of "Elf", even if I have quoted the lines continuously and participated in "Answer the Phone like Buddy the Elf day".
My Christmas shopping isn't done. Like, not even HALFWAY.
...It's as if the happiness and excitement and traditions of my holiday have disappeared.
I have my ideas as to why some of this has taken place, but at the same time, that one word sticks out to me. Tradition. For all these twenty-six years, my Christmases have been typical, the same, the status quo. And this year, everything seemed to turn around, change, shift and when everything began to settle (sort of), the things I knew were gone. Adapted. Changed.
I admit that I straddle the fence when it comes to change. I appreciate change; I think in several instances, it's necessary. But I have to tell you that I struggle with the transition to change, and I'd venture to say that most of us fall in that boat.
Because when change just happens--with no preparation or time in between, it's a bit simpler to adapt. This year, thankfully, I've found myself involved in different Christmas activities and I've thoroughly enjoyed them. Most of them have happened within the past week week or so, and I couldn't be thankful enough to God to be part of them.
![]() |
| "Frosty's Melting Cookies" from the youth party |
Sunday night (although not necessarily Christmas-related), I joined a group from church for fellowship at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant (which was great, I might add), laughing at my silliness and other things. I had also been invited to join the church on their Christmas float for the parade to sing carols the next night, which was a joy in itself scrambling from work to participate.
And once again, fellowship followed at that little Mexican restaurant, and (again, not really Christmas-related) it was an absolute delight. Then, after a day of doing nothing/Christmas shopping, Wednesday night allowed me to meet again with church family for our Christmas dinner.
Saturday, I get to meet my Secret Santa during our work Christmas party & I'm excited for this venue. And only after a month of (re)joining the adult church choir, our musical is on Sunday, and I have the privilege of singing a solo.
So maybe I've been searching for the Christmas I knew and remembered, the one I felt comfortable in. But perhaps, Christmas never faded away, to relay the song lyrics--new activities have been added to partake in and new people have welcomed me to join them, and again I'm so thankful. The selfishness of "my Christmas" blocked what the holiday is--the commemoration of Christ's birth. His joy and love. My prayer is that we--myself most definitely included--remember that if we can find Him this season--not just in December, but the other 11 months, too--then Christmas, indeed, has been found.
(See, I told you I'd post the video...)

No comments:
Post a Comment