Friday, August 7, 2015

Some of my short sayings


Hey folks! I trust this has been a good week for you! This week has been a weird one of sorts...working in a community feeding program for kids (refer to my "Old-school mentality" column to hear my thoughts on that, basically), all while still working at the Reporter before and after that, and then getting ready for VBS...it's been a bit hectic but as long as y'all pray for me, I'll be good! 

This week's column is rather different than my usual ones, but I hope you'll read it and enjoy it! Much love!

Original publication date: Friday, August 7, 2015
Random Writer
Some of my short sayings

I’ve struggled with what to write about this week. I even got as far as writing a column earlier in the week, but yesterday after looking over it and even editing it...I just wasn’t too keen on publishing that column.

So as I thought about it and (in typical fashion) stressed over it, an idea came back to mind that had originated almost a couple of years ago.

About six years ago I joined a social media site that had always piqued my curiosity. Twitter was known for its micro-blogging, where the user has 140 characters to share thoughts with his or her followers. It’s basically just like Facebook, but at the time it seemed better because users were able to connect with their favorite celebrities because many of them had jumped on the Twitter bandwagon.

So when I became a newspaper writer, and when I began writing columns, I knew it would be a place to express myself. And when Twitter gave users the option to keep an archive of every tweet they posted, I thought about sharing some of my short sayings in my column.

And here they are:

Trying out Twitter for the month... (that didn’t work out)

“Just for today, let’s focus on the good things that happen, so they don’t get lost in the shuffle of life.”

“Be kind to yourself. God thinks you’re worth his kindness. And he’s a good judge of character.”-- Max Lucado

“Hope doesn’t promise an instant solution but rather the possibility of an eventual one. Sometimes all we need is a little hope.”

“If we can give the best to a friend, how can we do less for our Lord who gave His very life for us?”

“I know we’re all God’s children, but sometimes I think He likes me extra special”--Doug from King of Queens

Gotta love Sweetwater...the Long John Silver’s mobile is in town! (Question: Does anyone miss that truck coming into town?)

“You both have the same face”--a five year old in Awana to me and my twin sister Cynthia.

Sometimes I wish I was more creative and profound. It would make writing so much more easier.

If people say ‘quit bugging me’, then what do bugs say?

This drummer is seriously like the muppet Animal...totally all over the place with those drums.

What kind of person would really give a kid a rock for trick or treat?

You know it’s almost Christmas in Sweetwater when Coach Mayes has his lights up counting down the days to the 25th.

Being a writer: Thinking of something funny & not writing it, then to come back & either forget what it was or realize it wasn’t that funny

P.S. This is just from the first year and a half, so maybe somewhere along the way I’ll post more of them to be read.

No comments:

Post a Comment