Friday, August 21, 2015

I'm worn

Hello friends and followers! I hope you've had a great week, because I have! This week, Vacation Bible School took place at church--Cartoon VBS. We had a great time of fun and close-knit fellowship, so stay tuned for a recap video!

Anywho, take a look at this week's column. I'm sure someone else besides me relates to this, so if you or someone else you know can relate, share it along! Much love!

Original publication date: Friday, August 21, 2015
Random Writer
I'm worn

A month ago, I had the opportunity to sing one of my mother's favorite songs at church. "Worn" by Tenth Avenue North is an anthem of sorts before her. The lyrics, which overlap an exceptional piano accompaniment, shed light on physical and spiritual weariness but stress that restoration can only come from God. (Seriously, go find it on YouTube and let this song be an encouragement to you.)

But when I think about it--why do we find ourselves worn out? Is it really  because we've failed to seek restoration from the Father? I don't really think that's the entire reason.

Sometimes, the everyday routine of life wears us out. The homefront includes cooking and cleaning and shuffling the kids from one place to another. It's helping with homework or attempting to fix that one household item that decided to bite the dust when we need it most. In most cases, I think it's a matter of prioritizing and realizing that some of the things we want to do--we can't (though there are some things, like broken down items, that just take place and we can't plan when that's going to happen). We've been given these responsibilities and more by God, and in order to please Him in our houses, they have to get done and be done in a way that brings Him glory (1 Corinthians 10:31).

A lot of us are also aware of the fact that our jobs will lead us to weariness. As Christ-followers, we should have an awareness that in our work spaces, we represent Him. And when we remember that several verses in Proverbs condemn laziness (Proverbs 6:6-11, Proverbs 19:15) and also note that no work equals no food (at least that's the way it should be), we complete the tasks that have been assigned to us.

I will say, however, that in some cases, those with exceptional work ethics tend to end up doing the job of everyone else because whoever is in authority will give them those additional tasks. But isn't that almost like a way of rewarding the lazy? And punishing the hard working? Shouldn't the current and incoming work force be trained to perform at the same level? (not all of them are lazy, but it seems that they make up the majority, and not just people in my age bracket) I fear that as time progresses, this trend will continue. And in cases like these, the only solution is taking it to God in prayer to seek rest and relief and hopefully a change in the situation.

But back to the original topic at hand. Weariness can result from good, in an odd combination of sorts. This week, Vacation Bible School has taken place at church. And while it's rewarding and fun, it's tiring. I can't remember the last time I went to bed at 10:30, but VBS has a way of happily wiping you out, physically and mentally. But ministry or outreach has to take place. Galatians 6:9 (KJV) tells us to "not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Yes, our bodies and minds will grow tired, but I think Paul is saying that the payout--seeing others come to a saving faith in Christ--is much higher and definitely worth it.

When Jesus said in Matthew 11:28 (NASB), "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest," I think there's the expectation that weariness is a given in this life. It's just that in order to overcome being weary, we have to make the choice to come to Jesus for that rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment