Hi friends! This thing called allergies ( I refuse to admit sickness) has completely taken over my week, so even if I wanted to think of something clever to write in this space, I would have nothing as I can barely think between the medicine and blowing my nose every 10 minutes. So please read this, share it if you like it and continue following me on this writing journey. Thanks! :)
Original publication date: Friday, April 17, 2015
Random Writer
Take time to realize
I think that a lot of times, we take things for granted. We always think that that person or place or whatever it may be will always be there. But on the other end of this thought is that I think we fail to realize how great these people or places or things in our lives really are. Those things are there for us, but the way they improve our lives is something we don’t take time to think about.
This exact scenario played out just last week in my own life. Or rather, the lives of my mother and me.
After another spell of not feeling well, my mom found herself leaving a doctor’s appointment with a stress test scheduled a few weeks later. She was given the directions to follow before having the test done--no caffeine after 6 p.m., no eating after 12 a.m., and show up at 6:45 a.m. I wanted to be there for my mother, so I joined her at the local hospital that morning and hadn’t eaten breakfast. (I wasn’t strong enough to give up caffeine the night before, though.)
As we made our way back to the radiology department, we were greeted by a few hospital employees who passed by us. Once we sat down and waited for my mom to be called back the first time, several other employees offered hellos to us. And as I watched CBS This Morning by myself, a couple other morning greetings were given to me.
There was a brief interim where Mom came back and sat with me before the next part of the test, but when she was called back for Round 2, the nurse kindly called for her. The third and final part of her test had to be done after a hearty breakfast (which, obviously, I was excited over; I was famished), and as we walked to the car, we both agreed that the hospital employees had been very friendly toward us.
We enjoyed a nice time of food and fellowship at Oak Street Cafe (which I had never been to before, and now I greatly recommend to anyone who hasn’t eaten there), and when we arrived back at the hospital, Mom was graciously whisked away to the last part of her test. I found myself in the waiting area again, but this time I was joined by a middle-aged woman. I completely took advantage of the fact that they were showing The Price is Right (I haven’t seen that show in years), so the lady--who sweetly asked what kind of test my mother was having--and I watched together. She left for a moment to talk to the receptionist, and when she came back she asked me, “Did she [the contestant] win?”
“Yes,” I replied. “She picked the right one.”
I was marveling at the kindness of the hospital employees and the concern from a complete stranger when a lady’s voice suddenly came over the loudspeaker. She explained that the hospital wanted to take a moment to honor our military with a moment of silence, which followed by a recording of God Bless America. Once the song ended, the lady announced, “God bless our military and God bless our country.”
I was floored. And in a very good way. The hospital didn’t have to take time out of the daily schedule to recognize our service men and women, but they did. They didn’t have to acknowledge God in their honoring of our armed forces, but it was done without hesitation.
When Mom emerged from the testing area, I asked her, “Did you hear that?” She hadn’t, so I had the chance to relay the announcement to her, in which she too was impressed with the gesture and we both decided that what had transpired throughout the morning was worthy of a column.
Which, it all goes back to my initial thoughts. I think a lot of times, we take our local health care facilities for granted. We as a community know that they are available for us to use when we need, but we should be thankful that a town of our size has such establishments, instead of having to drive hours away for medical attention.
And we as a community should remember that we have great services that we can go to. Rolling Plains Memorial Hospital and its employees should be commended for their kindness and their efficient service--especially at such an early time of day when most people, myself included, would allow their emotions to fuel their behavior and interactions--and their open recognition of our military.
So when we find ourselves turning for help in any situation and from any source, we should take the time to realize what a blessing it is to have such a resource. And after that, we need to take time to express our thanks to the Creator of those people and places (Colossians 1:16-17), because without Him...we wouldn’t have any of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment