I have to admit...I find it weird to say "Happy Good Friday!" Yes, the result is good; but the actual occurrence that led to the establishment of Good Friday is pretty brutal. So yeah, there's that.
Anywho, take a look at this week's blog and if something grabs your attention, feel free to share it with your friends. Have a wonderful weekend celebrating the death and resurrection of the Savior!
Original publication date: Friday, April 3, 2015
Random Writer
Sacrifice
When Ash Wednesday came around this year, I felt led to fast from something. I’ve discussed the concept of fasting before in my column and how horrible I am at it, but in my heart I knew I had to let go of something so that I could use that time and energy to focus on Jesus--isn’t that what the season of Lent is about anyway? Personally, I knew that I didn’t fall into those denominations that partook in Lent, but such a concept that brings Christ to the forefront shouldn’t be confined to denominational borders.
I finally decided I would give up country music. I’ve always enjoyed it for as long as I can remember, but as of late, my mind connected the genre and its music to sadness (for personal reasons that I won’t go into). Now, I know that music, in and of itself, is not a bad thing because it’s amoral, but the lyrics of the songs can make an impact on emotions, get your mind focused on other things, etc., and in this case, that’s where this decision to briefly abandon country music came in.
So would it be easy or hard to give it up? I actually saw it as a needed relief, but the first few days weren’t so easy.
That next day at work, country music began playing out of a little radio in the front office, which was within my earshot. My journey also began around the time when tickets for the Bull Bash were being given away by KXOX, and I wanted to help my mom win some tickets as a gift for my dad’s 60th birthday. God would understand, right? I figured He would, so I’d listen until they finally did the giveaway and I would call...and I never won.
But once the daily giveaway was done, I’d go back to listening to Christian music, because my plan was to take the country music out and put Christian music in its place to truly meditate on Jesus. And I have to tell you--between Spotify, YouTube playlists, and the music I had on my media player and iTunes, it’s been such a great experience.
Yet in any situation where we try to focus on God, Satan likes to interfere. Many days the WiFi wouldn’t work, so I couldn’t get a free connection. I didn’t mind switching to LTE...until I received an email that I was almost out of data usage and would be charged extra.
Then some days I had to keep listening to the same songs, which led to a little bit of burnout of some songs. Other days, my media player would die on me and I didn’t have the means to charge it up. And even while listening to Christian music, a secular work environment can put a damper on having a fulfilling worship experience.
But it hasn’t been all that bad. Jesus has blessed since that “your data’s almost out” email and I’ve been able to connect to WiFi. I’ve been blessed with having all my options available to listen to praise and worship songs, contemporary Christian music, and even Christian rap. I’ve also been able to enjoy some moments of solitude in the office and in the silence I could meditate on the lyrics.
Has it been easy to not listen to country music? Not as easy as I thought it would be. I miss the freedom of just letting music play without having to skip songs. Sometimes wearing earbuds all day can get old after a while. I miss the variety of music.
But who ever said that doing things in the name of Christ would be easy?
It’s not. When we decide to do things in the name of Christ, at that instant we’re denying ourselves from the things we want for His sake. In this particular journey, I’ve wanted my mind and soul to focus on Him through music that glorifies His name. I’ve wanted to focus on things that are pure and lovely and just and of a good report (Philippians 4:8). I don’t want to hear the corrupt communication that’s around me but words that are edifying and minister grace (Ephesians 4:29), and I’ve been able to do that by listening to Christian music.
And this journey has been done in order to prepare for Resurrection Sunday. Because giving up a particular kind of music or Cokes or sweets or whatever someone might have given up a little over a month ago doesn’t even compare to the sacrifice made when Jesus died on the cross for the sins of humanity. His own Father had to turn His back on His Son because His holiness couldn’t come near sin--sin that wasn’t even committed by the One accused and punished. The humiliation and physical anguish and torture and mocking endured by the Savior...that’s sacrifice.
And the result that came from the suffering and sacrifice is such a beautiful thing. We can rejoice that the story didn’t end at the cross; the Savior rose again after three days and lives today. His death and resurrection now grant us access to the Father and to an eternal life.
So will I go back to listening to some country music on Monday? Probably. It may not be to the extent that I listened to it before, but like I said, it’ll be nice to have some variety. And it won’t be by my own will or strength that I was able to finish the task, but by leaning on God. Because living life for God requires some kind of sacrifice, and if we really desire to follow Him, then we’ll make some changes--no matter how small or big--so that the things we do and say will conform us to His image.
No comments:
Post a Comment