Hello all! I trust that things are going well for you. Anyone else love to plan out their days or weeks (or life, for that matter)? If so, you might understand where I'm coming from this week!
But whether you're a planner or you're more of a spur-of-the-moment person, I think everyone can take something away from this week's piece. I hope you enjoy it and pass it along to your friends and followers. Thanks again for reading!
original publication date: Friday, December 12, 2014
Random Writer
Planning
We were so excited. My mom had spent the day cleaning house and preparing the guest room while I took off a bit early from work on Friday to help in any way possible. Because in a few short hours, my oldest brother and his family were coming to spend the weekend with us. We determined that the last time we'd all been together was in September, and three months without a visit is just way too long.
But as I folded towels in the bathroom that afternoon, my mom ran off to answer her phone in the other room. And when she came back, the look on her face said it all.
"They aren't coming, are they?" I asked.
My mom proceeded to tell me that while having his car checked out before the trip, my oldest brother was given a list of things wrong with it. And in keeping safety first and deal with the car troubles, they decided to cancel their trip.
Four days later, on Tuesday, my mom called me at work. My older brother had called her at work and told her that my sister-in-law's doctor's appointment for her heart hadn't gone as expected.
They were going to have to put a pacemaker.
My sister-in-law has always dealt with health issues, and we as a family knew that the pacemaker would be considered as an option, but more like a last resort. But the doctors determined that it was now more of a necessity, so following her appointment she headed into surgery.
I spent the day talking back and forth with my mom, checking for any updates on Facebook, and asking for prayers for her and the family during it all. A couple hours later, my brother texted me that the procedure went well and by the end of the day, she had been discharged from the hospital and back at home on the road to recovery.
I don't share all of this about my family looking for sympathy or pity or anything, but because these two, closely-timed events reminded me of something.
For all the planning we do, every now and then something might come along and change our plans. And for someone like me--I can't stand it. I'm a self-professed planner and it's woven into my fabric.
If we're planning a weekend trip out of town, I need to know that this is happening by Tuesday.
Are we going out to eat for dinner? I want to know at least what type of food we're considering so I can prepare my palate.
And about those out of town trips, like church camp? I'll confess that I've spent an hour (or more) planning out my entire wardrobe--top to bottom, along with all of the items I MIGHT need while I'm away from home.
But sometimes, when those plans seem to crumble around me, I remember that my plans aren't my own. God is the Author and Creator of everything who is in control of it all.
I'm reminded of Jeremiah 29:11, how the Lord declares that He knows our plans, and they're good plans that don't harm us. They give us hope and a future.
Isaiah 55:8 and 9 comes to mind, how the thoughts and ways of God are so much higher than our own.
And I look at Romans 8:28, that all things work for good. But while most people tend to stop at that part, the verse tells us more. These things that work for good...they're for those who love God and are called to His purpose.
When I look at what's been happening with my family, I see the hand of God in it. My oldest brother's family was able to spend time amongst themselves last weekend, playing games and having fun. And even though the pacemaker was the final option, perhaps one of my sister-in-law's health issues can be resolved.
So if (and/or when) a wrench gets thrown into your plans this Christmas season, remind yourself it's going to be okay. Or if some other health, financial or personal concern seems to change up the everyday routine, remember that God has a reason and purpose for it. I'll be the first to admit that it's one thing to comprehend that truth and a completely other thing to really cling to it, but when we do, His peace and calm will overwhelm us to where we're no longer looking at our plans, but solely looking toward Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment