Friday, December 19, 2014

Column: It's okay to say it

Hey everyone! This week in my column, I've taken full advantage of the fact that it's a space where I can share my opinion and express my thoughts. And after reading this, you may have opinions and thoughts of your own...

Honestly, I almost didn't submit it for this week (I think out of fear as to what might be said), but I think that's part of being a writer. Not everyone is going to agree with you. And I think as long as opinions on any topic (keyword: topic, NOT on the person) can be given in a clear manner, then they have the right to be shared. I hope you'll take the time to read it and pass it along as food for thought.

Original publication date: Friday, December 19, 2014 
Random Writer 
It's okay to say it 

I feel as if what I have to say may be too little too late, but as this particular topic keeps presenting itself, I feel like I have to express my opinion.

If you're on Facebook, I'm sure you've seen it. The message is the same, but the photo tends to looks different in an effort to stand out and make its case. I understand the point of it, but the more I see it, I believe the presentation of it is straddling the fence of being outright belligerent. And with a message like this, belligerence or a harsh attitude should steer way clear of it.

"Keep Christ in Christmas."

"It's okay to say Merry Christmas."

"It's Merry Christmas, not happy holidays."

I get it. We who believe and follow Christ take December 25 as a means to remember the birth of Jesus Christ--His humble beginning in the manger, wrapped in swaddling clothes, born to a virgin named Mary with an earthly, carpenter father named Joseph.

When we look at the Biblical account in Luke 2, we recall how Caesar Augustus' census led the couple to Bethlehem, where they wound up in the stable because there was no room in the inn for them. The angels proclaimed the birth of the Christ-child in such grandeur, and the shepherds were told about it and headed to see Him.

So in the midst of the holiday season, we'll say Merry Christmas, because in the present society where religious freedom seems to no longer be tolerated, we feel like Christmas is under fire. But it's the way that this concept is being presented...that's where I have a problem.

Because I feel that there's some hypocrisy mingled with piety when we tell everyone to "keep Christ in Christmas". It doesn't seem like this request is being made kindly; it's almost like it's been twisted into some sort of command. Some of us don't like when the media or other people tell us that we have to be okay with issues like gay marriage or abortion, but when we say that we want to keep Christ in Christmas, we expect everyone to be okay with it. And in the same way that we deem those proponents to come at us with such force and almost in a rude manner, I feel that the same methodology is at play with Christmas. Because on either issue--or any issue for that matter, no one likes being told what they should or shouldn't believe. For some, Christmas isn't about Christ at all, but about Santa Claus and gifts and gathering with loved ones. Some, for all we know, may not even believe in God. In that case, why should we tell people to prescribe to a belief they don't carry in their everyday lives? Instead, shouldn't we use it as an opportunity to share, in love, why Christ should be kept in Christmas?

Additionally (and this is where my stance has always been founded), are we not in a season of holidays? December not only includes Christmas, but Hanukkah for those of the Jewish heritage, Kwanzaa for African-Americans who may celebrate (and even though I live in America, Boxing Day is also celebrated in Canada on the 26th), and the month concludes with the New Year celebration.  

We may or may not run into people who celebrate these holidays, but what if we did? Some recipients of the greeting might just go along with it, while others might take the time to explain their respective holiday and/or why they don't celebrate Christmas. Personally, I've just always felt that these holidays get the short end of the stick, so to me "happy holidays" is perfectly acceptable this time of year.

But here is where this argument really gets me...how can we as Christ-followers tell others to "keep Christ in Christmas" when sometimes, we fail to do that exact thing?

December begins and it seems like something is happening every other night or at least every weekend. Between shuffling kids to their pageant rehearsals and plays, getting food ready for the potlucks and gift exchange parties, and buying and wrapping presents for your family and friends, it gets busy. And then there's the house-cleaning and traveling and get-togethers, which all build up (and in a rush, I might add) to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. So when we're all sitting together with our family and friends, unwrapping the gifts and eating the holiday feast, and it seems like that to-do list is finally crossed off and we can finally relax and call it a day, we've failed to do the most important thing: reflect on the birth of Christ and the fact that He was born...to die.

Believe me, I'm not pointing fingers because I've been there before. I can remember a few Christmases where Luke 2 wasn't read. My concern was rummaging through my stocking and figuring out how to use my gifts and waiting to finally eat our late holiday lunch. But if the whole purpose of celebrating Christmas is to keep Christ at the forefront, and all we have to offer Him is our leftover energy because we exhausted it on everything else, then we've missed the point entirely.

It hasn't been my intention to offend with this column. You may or may not agree with me, and we're all entitled to our own opinions. Feel free to tell me Merry Christmas. It won't upset me; actually, it pleasantly catches me off-guard because while it's broadcast all over the Internet or in print, it rarely crosses anyone's lips anymore. But if I or someone else respond with "Happy Holidays", it will be okay. Christmas won't fall off the calendar and be forever forgotten.

Because the birth of Christ has already happened, and nothing can or will change that. And with such an extraordinary occurrence like His birth, we who follow Christ should carry Him and the story of His love with us every day, not just once a year toward the end of December.

Happy Holidays, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment