Happy Halloween, y'all! I hope you have a great time tonight and this weekend all dressed up and having fun and what not (please, be safe though!).
I'm actually posting my column on its actual publication date today, which is big for me--so I'm pumped about that! I hope you'll read it and take something from it that gets you thinking. And whether it does or not, pass it along to your followers and friends on social media. Much love! :)
(original publication date: Friday, October 31, 2014)
Random Writer
Take off the mask
I think it's happened to us at one time or another.
We come across someone in our paths and--as I've previously written about--that first impression wasn't a great one. Their words or action left us wondering why someone would talk or behave in such a manner. Perhaps it was so obscene it made you cringe, or so highly intellectual that it left you feeling dumb, but the interaction wasn't great and as much as you'd like to forget about it, it stays in the back of your mind.
Honestly, but unbeknownst to me, I've probably been on the other side of that situation. Many people have confused my silence for arrogance, but simply put, it takes me longer than the average person to feel comfortable enough to talk to someone new. And I'll admit it, there are some days where I just don't feel like talking...I seriously don't feel like opening my mouth and speaking (yes, I've taken lazy to a new level).
And with each situation, there's something going on to where that person--on either side of this scenario--does what they do. With most people, they put off that arrogant air to hide their lack of confidence. They speak intelligently on a particular manner because it's something they have a passion for and they've researched it from top to bottom and everywhere in between.
Sadly, some people will talk and act however they want to because they can and they don't care how it makes people feel. It might not be because they lack a filter or because they don't know where your personal line of candor begins and ends, but because they use their words and actions almost as a means of bullying and dominance.
And when I think about the Church, this same situation happens frequently. It's something we should know better not to do, but when you have a gathering of imperfect people, it's bound to happen.
It's when a person openly condemns the inclusion of a particular style of music in the church service, because they question how God be glorified.
Or when someone with a passion for a particular ministry aggressively states that everyone should get on board, whether or not people have (or haven't) been called by God to get involved or are even qualified to participate.
It's when a person (who isn't under the conviction of the Holy Spirit) is called out by someone for what they are wearing to the church service and are treated so poorly that they never darken the door again because of the condescending words or glances.
Can't we just take these masks off? Instead of self-centeredness, let's take that mask off and remember that others really are impacted by the things we do and say.
Instead of boasting in our knowledge and independence, let's take that mask off and be transparent enough to say "It's nothing I've done, but Christ in me."
Rather than being pious, let's take that mask of superiority off and be humble enough to remember that there's a log in our own eye before calling out the speck in our brother's eye.
Rather than putting off the appearance that all is okay, let's take that mask off and be bold enough to say, "Things aren't going great and I can't bear this burden on my own."
Each day, each moment, we hide our insecurities. We disguise our problems. But when everything gets stripped away--whether by our own doing or not--we all stand as broken, sinful people in need of a Savior. When we accept Him, we can--through His power--tame the tongue, face our fears. We can imitate our Father as His children, as we put off who we were to become a new creation in Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment