Hello! Take a look at this week's column. I feel like this week's column perfectly describes why my feature is called "Random Writer". Hope you enjoy it, and if you do, pass it along!
(original publication date: Friday, October 3, 2014)
A new season...and sickness
Ah, the fall. Autumn. I love cooler weather and the clouds and precipitation. Admittedly, I love fall fashion--the hoodies and scarves and boots. And you can't forget about pumpkin-spiced EVERYTHING. It's a seasonal stable.
But forget about the flavors and the fashion for a moment. Let's be honest for a little bit. Sadly, when the cooler and wet weather comes around, it seems like illness does as well. Flu season kicks off, and whether it's blown into the full influenza virus or not, there will be more sneezing and coughing and nose-blowing around us...more than we'd like to see and sense and (unfortunately, at times) feel.
I remember as a kid, growing up, doing my best to still make it to school whenever I was sick. The rule was if you stayed until 10 a.m., they counted you as present for the entire day. So I basically made it for a couple hours and then headed home.
And then there was that one time in college, my second year, when I was sick and I didn't make it to classes that day. I also didn't have a car to get around, so I depended on others. One day after lunch, a group of my friends walked into my room. They found out I was sick, so they asked if there was anything I needed. I was in dire need of some medicine, Kleenex and cough drops, so about an hour later, my friends returned with my bag of medicine and also a surprise--a couple pairs of cute socks as a "get well soon" gift. It's one of those moments I'll never forget as I recall the friends in college who I cherish all these years later.
But as an adult (post-college), I found myself being in denial when I would get sick. Yeah, my nose was stuffy and runny. And that cough? It was just my asthma acting up again. But when the headache came or the chills began or my temperature started to rise, I would sit there at my desk, thinking "Maybe I am sick..."
But about a year ago, I came to this amazing realization. If I show up to work, sick, and if I'm not feeling 100%, then I obviously won't perform 100% at my job. And as a perfectionist, I couldn't have that.
So when I know I've crossed that line of only displaying symptoms of sickness, for the good of myself (and even others--because I don't want to be "that person" who gets everyone else around me sick) I'll take it easy at home, sleeping away and taking some medicine. At the end of the day, the choice is yours, but as for me, the next time you'll see me is at 100%, heading back to whatever's awaiting me, ready to tackle my next task.
Stay healthy, folks!
No comments:
Post a Comment