Friday, July 6, 2012

A (Column): Sunday School

Friends, it's just been WAY too long since I've posted--about half a year! 
Time to change that.
My original intention, when I wrote this, was to submit it as a column to run in the newspaper where I work. But upon its completion, I sensed it as too personal & I really don't want to share deep/introspective works with my newspaper readers. So, I've made my way back to the blogosphere...and maybe I'll visit more often. 
Please enjoy!  

Sunday School 

As of late (and as a long-time church goer), one of the biggest things that has stuck out to me is the idea/concept of Sunday School. I've had the opportunity to see different teaching styles and subjects over the past year, and it's been quite eye-opening.

I will say, however, that there is a huge difference in being a part of the class compared to teaching Sunday School. Recently, I was led away from an amazing opportunity in teaching a class--a senior ladies' class.

For around five months I was able to teach a small group of ladies significantly older than me. When I first joined the class late last year, the second youngest person than me was almost 40 years older; some of my classmates were about to hit 80.

Upon my second week of visiting the class, I was politely informed that there was other classes available for people my age, but I told her that I was comfortable where I was. I had made that choice to surround myself with senior saints and mature minds, and I was content with that.

There wasn't a more friendly group than those people, in my opinion. We'd gather together, sing a song, do some prayer requests and break up into our small groups. My class of about seven ladies then dove into the Word, in which I have to say the curriculum we had was great as both a student and a teacher.

Leaving that class was one of the hardest things out of that entire process. It just wasn't that I felt comfortable with my classmates, but I knew I was loved and I knew we'd be getting a closer look at Scripture. But I'd rather leave knowing it was a God-thing than exit on my own decision, so if you're reading this--know that I will always love you and cherish your friendship and fellowship.

I've taught other times in Sunday School as well, usually as a substitute for elementary students. There's a joy in knowing that you've been blessed with the opportunity to build a spiritual foundation in a child's life, and it's even better when they can come back the next week and tell you what they learned.

On the other end of the Sunday School spectrum is the student aspect. One of my favorite classes was during my college years in Springfield, Missouri in the college class at Baptist Temple. About a month after I joined I became part of the class's praise team and helped lead music; for the next three and a half years I not only served faithfully but was able to grow spiritually through the awesome teaching of my college pastor, who I not only consider a friend but count as a great spiritual mentor.

Admittedly, some of my Sunday School student experiences haven't been so great. From being led into a Sunday School class full of empty-nester couples (as an unmarried twenty-something with no kids) to being a middle-schooler, sitting in a youth group where no one talked to me during my visit...while other things do, in fact, make a difference, Sunday School (in my opinion) is just one aspect in finding the church that God wants you to be.

Thankfully, right now I'm sitting in on a class with some of the most biblically sound teaching I've heard, where every concept discussed is backed up by the Bible. The lessons are on the Armor of God too, a study I've always wanted to take a look at.

I don't know if there's a special day set aside on the calendar to honor Sunday School teachers (I'll probably look now), but I personally want to say thanks to all those men and women who take time each week to study and prepare lessons to teach Sunday School. They're the people who taught me & helped bring me to where I am today, the people who are still going at it after years of service--shaping children who are learning the basics to become Sunday School teachers themselves in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment