Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Musical Soapbox

Okay, so I love music. Any kind, any form...just give me a rhythm and a beat and I'm loving it. Music has definitely made an impact and defined me throughout my entire life. Patsy Cline, my idol, inspired me to enter the local Star Search talent show as a second grader, and a year later she helped me with the overall elementary division. =v) A little bit of country (namely Big and Rich), rap and hip hop got me busted in college when I threw a dance party during the open dorms after the Christmas banquet my senior year. And yes, that is quite a night to remember...I shall never forget.

I guess I like rock...but there's only one song that I definitely love and know by heart..."Fall to Pieces". I just forgot their name, but the lead singer used to be in the Stone Temple Pilots and one of the guitarists was that guy with the long blonde and curly hair who wears a top hat...I wish I knew more but sadly I've lost my memory about it. Oh yeah, and I like bluegrass...give me some Ricky Skaggs and some Del McCoury Band (I LOVE the song "My Love Will Not Change"!) and I'm good.

I saved this genre for last for a reason. Christian music. And as I talk, I'm including it all...contemporary, praise and worship, hymns...all one lump. I tend to have a problem with Christian music, and it's simply this: most of the songs I hear are remakes. I'm not a fan of remakes...in any genre. I couldn't handle in the 90s when the whole "How Do I Live" battle between LeAnn Rimes and Trisha Yearwood came out. Trisha did it first. That's my take.

ANYWAY, back on track, if there's any genre that continuously remakes, it's Christian music. Now, I don't have a problem with hymns being redone--to an extent. Those songs are phenomenal and it's sometimes fun to hear a different musical take to them. Honestly, my favorite hymn remake is "There's Something about That Name" by Toby Mac and Sonicflook (I think they're the ones who did it). Amazing. Simply put.

I'm talking about the Chris Tomlin songs, or the last song on the Casting Crowns "The Altar and the Door" album...it's like everytime I would make an attempt to listen to more Christian radio, the same song would come on by 2 or 3 different artists. I LOVE originality when it comes to music, and my experiences have shown that Christian music lacks it.

I will say, though, groups like David Crowder Band and Casting Crowns are my favorites, BECAUSE they write most of their stuff. Especially DC*B. I saw them in concert last fall...loved it. And just when I was once again fed up with the Christian radio, a song came on like a month ago while going to church. I almost Tweeted about it but opted out since I was really impacted by it. But, I just heard it on the office radio like 10 minutes ago, and I was touched by it again.

Now for all I know, this could be a remake and I'd be making a fool of myself. But the lyrics are outstanding. As soon as I heard it, I loved it. It was, to me, a description of the genuine worship experience. Here are the lyrics...

As we come into Your Presence
We remember every blessing
That You've poured out so freely from above
Lifting gratitude and praises
For compassion so amazing
Lord, we've come to give You thanks for all You've done

Because of Your love, we're forgiven
Because of Your love, our hearts are clean
We lift You up with songs of freedom
Forever we're changed because of Your love


Paul Baloche's "Because of Your Love". Current favorite Christian song. Fantastic song. Lengthy, I know, but for now that's my musical soapbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment