Hello all! It's that time again--which has taken way too long once again--to share what God led me to write in my (what-used-to-be) weekly column. I hope you'll read it and pass it along to those who like it too! Much love and here's an early Happy Fathers' Day greeting to all the papas out there!
Original publication date: Friday, June 17, 2016
Random Writer
Good fathers
Sunday is Father's Day, which equals a column on the topic from your friendly neighborhood staff writer (that's me, if anyone is confused). As a female, I obviously cannot relate or even begin to understand the mindset of a father. But as a daughter, I've been blessed with a great father in this life.
My father isn't perfect by any means (whose is?), but I have seen the power of God at work in his life that has changed him to who he is today. The guy that would only come to church when my siblings and I performed in a kids' choir performance now attends every Sunday unless he's sick. He has a heart for global mission work, and it's something I aspire toward. And when I see him in the mornings, the first thing he reads is the Bible--not the newspaper or a Facebook feed (he doesn't even have Facebook).
A couple other guys that I been able to see in the father role are my brothers. Honestly, it's fun--the siblings that I would do crazy things with growing up are now entrusted with tiny humans to their care.
My oldest brother became a father at the ripe age of 23. But almost 12 years later, the growth I've seen in him as a dad is remarkable. He's involved in their lives--from teaching a drama troupe that his daughter is in to being a Boy Scout leader to his sons. He even gets the blessing of going to school with them as an assistant P.E. coach, so he's not missing out on their lives.
My other older brother is a tenacious father. He cares for his son while juggling so many items on his plate. While pursuing his dream job and attending school, he balances multiple jobs, responsibilities at church and takes care of the house when his wife is sick. He takes time out of his busy schedule to take his son out for Saturday morning breakfast.
Both of my brothers don't babysit their own kids--it's their job as a father to take on that responsibility. They love, support, and care for them as a father should and lead their children and their families in the way of the Lord. I'm proud of them and blessed to call them my brothers.
So on this Father's Day, my brothers and dad will be blessed by having their children wish them a Happy Father's Day. It might be a call or it might be face to face, but we'll get the chance to offer our well-wishes.
But on the other side of the country, some dads won't get that chance. The atrocity that occurred not even a week ago in Orlando shattered hearts and lives. There will be dads that wake up on Sunday with the realization that their child is gone. They won't get a phone call from their child, but the longing for the ringing of a phone will weigh heavy on their hearts and minds.
Some dads have lost their children way too soon in life, while some children have already gone through the tragedy of having their father pass away. While we celebrate Dad this Sunday, we must offer our prayers and love to those who ache over a holiday like this.
Yet for all of us, we cannot forget that beyond our earthly father--whether he was there or not, whether he was good to us or not--we have a Heavenly Father who takes joy in us. He loves us immensely.
One of my favorite songs right now is "Good Good Father" by Chris Tomlin, and it carries such truth and strength in it. He's perfect in His ways and we're loved by Him. He never leaves us alone and gives us answers to our problems to provide us peace. If we could just hold on to that truth and let it sink within our hearts and minds and let it manifest itself in our lives, I can't even imagine the way that God would work within the lives of His children.
No comments:
Post a Comment