My journey of being a single, twenty-something, local newspaper staff writer & wannabe author...occasionally mixed in with the rest of my random life.
Friday, September 18, 2015
Bernie, Liberty and civility
Hi all! Consider this week's column my foray into political journalism...although it's probably pretty pathetic. I try to stay away from topics like this because, honestly, I feel like I don't know much about these issues and I'm--being honest again--too lazy to do the research that goes into topics like this. But this one really intrigued me, so I figured, "why not?" and just went with it.
So in advance, if it seems like I have no clue what I'm talking about, I apologize. But if you like it, please pass it along to your friends and followers. Much love!
Original publication date: Friday, September 18, 2015
Random Writer
Bernie, Liberty and civility
I could be wrong (which happens from time to time), but I feel that there hasn’t been much news coverage about this. And in my perspective from a media standpoint, it makes sense when the major networks’ goal--especially in this political season--is to show the stark divisions among all the presidential candidates.
On Monday, Democratic presidential nominee Bernie Sanders--who really hasn’t received much coverage until it began to be seen that he was making some headway in some polls against Hillary Clinton--spoke at Liberty University, the largest Christian university in the nation.
But why?
In a society where people believe that Democrat equals liberal and Christian equals Republican (a belief of many, though I personally understand that’s not the case entirely), the decision to make the speech there wouldn’t make sense on paper. But Sanders made the option to do so, and as a result, I believe he can teach us a thing or two about civility.
In the transcribed speech found on the Washington Post website, Sanders initially states that there are differences between him and the audience with women’s rights and gay rights, as he is in favor of them.
“But I came here today, because I believe from the bottom of my heart that it is vitally important for those of us who hold different views to be able to engage in a civil discourse,” said Sanders. He acknowledged the “shouting” and “making fun” that usually takes place when people state their opinions, especially when they differ.
But Sanders points something out that is so very true, it’s almost convicting.
“It is harder, but not less important, for us to try and communicate with those who do not agree with us on every issue.”
Personally, it’s easy to say “Amen” when the preacher makes a point that I agree with or I know that it aligns with Scripture. I can immediately like a post on Facebook or Instagram when someone else echoes my beliefs, or retweet something that makes me think, “Wow, it’s like we were thinking the same thing.” But to exchange dialogue with someone different than you? It’s hard. And unfortunately, in many cases today, we’ve thrown civility out of the window during those dialogues.
Sanders also points out another valid point: he knows why the audience believes what they do. He knows that the religious foundation of the school is used in teaching students in regards to morality and decency and honesty. And he uses what they know--in this case, Matthew 7:12, also called The Golden Rule--to state his belief. Now, whether he was trying to bring everyone over to his side or not is a different issue, but he used what the audience was familiar with to make his case.
I think that’s one of the reasons I grew up being taught about different religions while in church and even in Bible college. Because in the instance that we shared the Gospel with them, we knew their vantage point. We knew what was considered right and wrong and the difference between “us” and “them”. But I think when we have that understanding of different perspectives, dialogue can take place without shouting and bickering. And should it venture off into a negative course, then I believe that the conversation has become nothing short of immature, at best.
From this point on, Sanders discusses income inequality and the “injustice” he sees among the wealthy versus the poor, whether it’s from finances, nutrition, the workplace, healthcare or even maternity/paternity leave. And there’s an awareness in Sanders’ speech that the discussion has to be broad and not narrowed to those in position to make change, but for all involved.
As he concluded his speech, Sanders urged the audience to continue the discussion, to ask questions and have debate about the issues of which he spoke, among others.
“If we are honest in striving to be a moral and just society,” he concluded, “it is imperative that we have the courage to stand with the poor, to stand with working people and when necessary, take on very powerful and wealthy people...”
I may not agree with his viewpoints, and he’s not my candidate of choice, but I have to say that after this particular event, I have some respect for him that I didn’t have before. I have no idea if anyone in that audience joined Team Bernie after that speech. But I’m fairly confident in saying that the moment he was introduced onto the platform, someone probably shut him off entirely just because it was him, even if everything he had to say was completely true. Because, sadly, that’s how we as humans are.
I’ve had conversations with people who shut me off--even though all of my points were valid and correct--just because I was the one making the case, or because they didn’t want to admit that they were wrong. And in those moments, we have to push emotion out of the window and not only come out with logic and reason, but as Christ-followers (not in name only but also in actions and deeds), we also have to present our case in a way that pleases Him.
Too many times, I’ve seen unhealthy dialogue take place not only between “right wing” and “left wing”, but “Christian” versus “Christian”. And a lot of times, it’s over the dumbest issues--I heard of one church who ended up splitting just because of carpet. So if that’s the kind of conversation we have “among believers,” then how can we speak in civility and “speak the truth in love” to those of differing viewpoints, if we can’t even do it within the body of Christ?
Maybe we should take a page out of Bernie’s book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is good. This is really good. This deserves to be read by many, many people.
ReplyDeleteThis is good. This is really good. This deserves to be read by many, many people.
ReplyDelete