Hey friends! I don't have much to share in this intro space of mine this week about my column, so just dive on in and take a look! If you like it, then share it along.
And before I skedaddle, Sunday is my parents' 30th wedding anniversary, so I wish them the best! :)
Original publication date: Friday, July 24, 2015
Random Writer
A transition of rest
In this life, transition comes in one form or another, either as a choice of our own or a choice that is made for us. Personally, I’ve learned that I enjoy transition, but the changes that take place from point A to point B...I’m not really a fan of that.
Recently, I’ve decided to make some changes in my life. And my faith in God leads me to believe that He oversees these changes and allows them to happen for a reason. Again, He’s proven that the things that I think I want the most are not what He really wants for me, so I have to take a step back. I know my limits--what I can and cannot handle, even against the face of adversity. And He knows my limits, too, which is a great comfort.
In my young life, I feel like I’ve always been doing something. Not a continual busyness, but more like an ongoing involvement. Most of it hasn’t been stressful or irksome, but there have been times when I wondered if there would be any improvement, any semblance as to whether my work made a difference, or if my investment would result in a tangible and visible result.
And in some cases, there was no change, at least immediately. In time, a change--in most cases, for the better--would be seen and relieve my worrisome mind and heart. But when change never occurred, it brought to mind the concept of insanity--doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting a different result.
So as I make these changes in my life (under the leadership of Christ), I actually find myself going into a transition of rest. And isn’t that what He wants for His children?
Psalm 37:7 begins with “Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him.”
Matthew 11:28 says, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
I think sometimes, we become so busy that we have no time to rest. We prohibit ourselves from falling into the arms of the Lord as a respite for our weary bodies, minds, and souls. In our minds...in my mind...taking part in this or that means that we’re doing okay, that we’re doing what we’re supposed to do, but we end up losing that time which can and should be used to spend with God and see how He wants us to grow.
It’s not that we’re throwing in the towel, yet people might see it that way and people, unfortunately, will talk whether you take a step back or continue with your routines and tasks. But when we pull away from the to-do list and pull closer to God, He will comfort us, teach us and strengthen us in Him.
Think about the story in the Bible when Jesus came to visit Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42). Martha was so busy serving; she was making her best effort to serve Jesus, of all people. But Mary simply sat at Jesus’ feet and soaked in His words. And when Martha basically called Jesus out for not reprimanding her sister, He told her “Mary hath chosen that good part” (verse 42).
The things we involve ourselves in can be good things, but if they take us away from the Savior and rest in Him, well... are they really good things? The best thing we can have in this life is Jesus and His life-saving sacrifice. And in this time of my life, I hope to use this transition as a means of resting in Him and seeing what He has for me. It will be different and less hectic, but as long as He’s at the forefront, as one of my favorite songs says, “let the future begin.”
No comments:
Post a Comment