Hey friends! Just want to thank you for reading my blog! As I continue to write on a regular basis, I hope to increase my influence on social media as well. So if you like what you read, feel free to share it on Facebook or Twitter or whatever site you use.
If you could, please pray for one of these opportunities to increase my influence, as I took one of these risks in the past couple of days--that God's will may be done, if He chooses fit to expand my platform.
(original publication date: Friday, September 19, 2014)
Random Writer
First impressions
First impressions can make or break any kind of interaction, however immediate or lengthy the time spent should last. Now, a first impression shouldn’t be confused with an initial assumption of someone. I made an assumption in college that this one girl was snobby, but once I met her I was completely proven wrong and we became good friends.
But sometimes, first impressions can prove us wrong. Over time, maybe that one person you couldn’t handle--based on your first meeting with him or her--ends up growing or maturing. A new and different side of that person emerges and as a result, you end up with a great relationship.
As for me, I tend to stick with first impressions (that’s a good and bad thing, unfortunately). My best friend tells me that once something enters my mind, it’s solidified and almost nothing will shake me. In some instances, my gut feeling is proven correct and other times (most times) what I was thinking is the complete opposite.
In small towns, once people “know you,” that reputation sticks. I remember when I left for college, I was eager to branch out and embrace a new community, new surroundings. That enthusiasm came out during that first semester, and for the first time in my life I was excited and making friends and enjoying life.
I say all of this, because recently, someone made a first impression on me, and it stuck pretty well. As a result of insurance changes and the such, my mom found herself without a doctor and was in need of some medical attention. I went with her, and we ended up in an unfamiliar office, hoping to be taken in for an appointment.
The receptionist was friendly. As with any medical facility, paperwork had to be filled out and she was kind and offered her assistance as needed. Once some time passed, the nurse greeted my mother and I and she partook in the usual medical routine--weight, blood pressure, etc. She had a friendly manner and even carried a conversation with us.
As we waited for the doctor, my mom and I were already impressed. And wouldn’t you know it, once we met Dr. Jennifer Liedtke, her kind demeanor and sweet spirit made the overall experience an excellent one--because as we all know, going to the doctor isn’t fun...you’re more than likely sick! (Unless it’s a routine check-up.) When we recapped the visit with friends and acquaintances, my mom and I were quick to share what a great impression Dr. Liedtke and her staff left on us and recommended her to others.
The Bible tells us that while man looks on the outward appearance, God looks at our heart and He knows our thoughts and intents (1 Samuel 16:7, Hebrews 4:12). But here’s the thing--I don’t see this as a license to act however we want, because our actions should mirror what we believe. And on the other end of the spectrum, it doesn’t mean that we should let go of how we look or take it to the extreme, because within ourselves we know our own motives.
As Christians, the first impression we should leave on anyone we meet should be Jesus. That we know Him and follow Him--that our lives reflect Him in us and through us. And for me, an introvert, that’s hard sometimes because I let my quiet demeanor and self-professed awkwardness overwhelm me or the situation. Unfortunately, some people deem “quiet and reserved” as arrogance and piety but as time passes, we let our guard down. We take a few risks here and there in an effort to give people a chance to know us. And as we portray who we are, whether you’re an introvert or the most outgoing person ever, our first impression as Christ-followers has to be Jesus. It’s the only way that we can show the world that Jesus Himself is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
No comments:
Post a Comment