She also said that her co-worker enjoyed my writing, which is a compliment I'm thankful for, but more so, it showed me that my columns--every now and then--can make a difference in someone's life. Check it out, enjoy, and maybe you'll follow the same path she did!
Peace on Earth...and at work, too
By Belinda SerranoI broke my one rule.
Well, I’m sure I have more than one personal rule, but I had in fact just broken this one. It was November 30, and I decided to start listening to Christmas music.
On one hand, it wasn’t December (which is part of my rule for listening to Christmas music), but on the other, Thanksgiving had passed, and if you know me or have read one of my past columns, I’m one of those people who doesn’t go from Halloween to Christmas, as there is a holiday in between.
Anyway, I was at work when I made this decision and on this day I happened to have my mp3 player with me (yes, I haven’t evolved with the times to get an iPod), so my thumb circled round and round until I found the one Christmas album on my player. I pressed the buttons and the music started playing into my earbuds.
I had several reasons to listen to music that day. For one, that Friday had become so busy at work that I needed something, anything, to slow it down a little bit. And another, I just wanted to stop the noise around me and offer myself something good to listen to, something edifying and positive. Only One Person knew what would transpire, as the Christmas music began and I continued to type.
My selection that day was the Christmas album by contemporary Christian group and award-winning artists Casting Crowns called “Peace on Earth.” The album came out in 2008 and I actually remember buying it that same year while in college. Casting Crowns hadn’t disappointed me with their other albums, so I figured their Christmas record wouldn’t either.
I was right. This album was exceptional. From the traditional hymns like O Come All Ye Faithful, Joy to the World, Silent Night, Away in a Manger...to the holiday rendition of one of their previous tracks called While You Were Sleeping and the not-so-familiar songs of God is with Us, Christmas Offering and Sweet Little Jesus Boy, this was one album I had fallen in love with.
The album started with their own arrangement of I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day and nine songs later, wrapped up with a mesmerizing instrumental of O Come, O Come Emmanuel--packed full of a sprinting stringed arrangement mixed with a calming piano.
I got so caught up in the typing and listening that I even missed a phone call from my mom. But even more than that, as the record played from beginning to end, something else happened. I actually found myself, at work no less, in a spirit of worship and praise--thankful for the Reason that these songs were written and performed, to remember the Baby in the manger while knowing that His only reason for being born...was to die.
I’m not one of those people who thrive on feelings when it comes to spiritual encounters, but I know when His presence is near me even more than it already is. Needless to say, that Friday definitely got better, even as I continued to work.
So yes, if you need some good--believe me, very good--Christmas music to listen to this season, get this album. It won’t disappoint.
And while you’re at it, just get all of the Casting Crowns albums, in case you’re in need of some uplifting music not just for now, but the entire year.
No comments:
Post a Comment