Last Wednesday, my editor gave me a book & told me that the author was coming by tomorrow for an interview. I looked at the book title, which promoted a religious theme, and took it expecting it to be a promising read. (My goal was to be like the pros and read the book before I did the interview.)
When I started reading it that afternoon, the information presented did in fact deal with religion, but the first few pages went against my beliefs, so I stopped reading it. At that point, my only concern was to be sure that not only my writing but my interaction was professional as well as neutral.
I did the interview Thursday morning, and I have to say the author was very kind. Though his beliefs were different from mine, he wasn't the kind of person who wanted to shove his beliefs in your face and force you to believe him. While nervous as always, I got through the interview with the information I needed & immediately wrote the article for Sunday's paper.
I have to admit, that initially I didn't want to take credit for the piece. For some strange reason, I think that readers automatically assume that I believe what I write. But the more I went through the interview, the more I knew that this event was like a challenge to my literary life. That I could, in fact, write the story, tie my name to it and be unbiased and fair in my report.
I finished the story that same day, like in the next hour. And I gave it to my editor to be in Sunday's paper. We decided on B12--the back of the second section, and from there I left it at that to appear that day.
Fast forward to today. I get called to my editor's office. "Uh oh, what have I done wrong?" I start thinking, because she was listening to a voice mail. Someone called to gripe (I was thinking it might have been the Senate candidate from last week)!). But when I got inside, I heard a familiar voice--the one of the author I spoke with.
It seemed as if he was at a loss of words. Still, I thought I was in trouble. But as his words came to him, I listened to what he said. "Shocked"..."speechless"..."in awe"...and the one that got me was, "no one has ever been so gracious to me".
So he liked it! Phew! :) My mind went back to the end of our interview as we were wrapping things up, "Be merciful," he said about my piece. And then to hear him use the word "gracious" to describe what I wrote...it was nice, but it made me sad.
Obviously, some of the reviews weren't very gracious. And for some, it's easy to bash what you don't particularly believe. But that's not my job--my job is to present the information that's given. I mean, I even had my parents read it to make sure I was reporting and not sharing my opinion.
And all of this makes me think too. My personal beliefs were never mentioned while we spoke, but I almost think that my actions in writing did. Thankfully, God allowed me to conduct myself in a way that would not be harmful to His name or treat him differently because of what he believed. If the way I interact with people in my line of work, specifically interviewing, can at least get people--"religious" or not--to see graciousness and mercy from me, then that's a testament to God.
...Certainly not me.
**Here's the article I'm talking about!:
Area author challenges doctrines in book
By Belinda Serrano
Staff Writer
A local author is making waves in the religious community with his controversial book.
Don Kannel, who grew up in Merkel, recently wrote the book entitled "Saved?". What started out as a theological book ended up becoming a novel that breaks down the doctrine of salvation.
Kannel's education background includes earning a Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies from Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary with a minor in Criminal Justice and an emphasis in evangelism. He was also the Director of Evangelism while in seminary and a former associate pastor.
Along with the new title of author, Kannel is a bi-vocational minister, serving as a chaplain assistant and preaching every Sunday at one of three West Texas prisons and is also a farmer with his wife Patricia. He is also a pulpit supply preacher.
In his book summary, he says that he decided to watch a Jack Van Impe show which ended with an invitation to salvation. He says he prayed with the televangelist and "found myself on the floor bawling uncontrollably like a baby, begging a God I did not know to forgive me for a multitude of sin no one else would have." He says that since that moment, he has never been the same.
Kannel noted that his book does not attack religious beliefs or any denomination. Instead, he takes apart the ideas of the "once saved, always saved" mentality, security of the believer, and false conversion. The doctrines addressed by Kannel, he says, are all recent developments which were never believed by the early church.
He said that his book is based on Scripture, using the New King James Version (NKJV), the King James Version, and original Greek texts.
The author is also an evangelist, as Kannel is the creator and former head of "Hardcore Evangelism". Through street ministry, witnessing in prisons and preaching crusades and revivals, he stated that he has been able to witness to thousands of people.
In these interactions, Kannel says that most people understand the need to have Jesus Christ in their lives. But, he says that he has met people who have told him that they are saved, but their lives do not show such proof.
Kannel cites the NKJV and the book of First Corinthians--chapter 1, verse 18--to explain his belief. Highlighting the phrase "being saved", he says that the longtime teachings of salvation are "erroneous doctrine."
He also says that the Bible points out that those who endure to the end "will" be saved. But, since people are still among the living, the end--and thus salvation--has not yet come. Kannel additionally notes that people have the wrong idea that they can ask for Christ's forgiveness and still live sinfully.
Kannel also points out that the world is in its last days, citing the Apostle Paul's words to Timothy in the Second Timothy 4:3-4 (NKJV):
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables."
With his controversial statements, however, Kannel has already had critics against the book and addresses them and future critics toward the end of his novel. He writes that he is saddened, noting that critics have called his work "too harsh".
But he writes that he does stand by his belief the Christ came to die in order to show believers that it is mandatory and possible to live a life free from sin. He uses John 5:14 as evidence of his belief, when Jesus told the man He healed at the pool of Bethesda to "sin no more".
At the end of the epilogue, Kannel questions his critics by posing the question--"If Christ laid down His own life, then what are you [the critics] willing to lay down for Him?" As the result, they are expected and required to stop sinning.
The journey of his book began during a dream one night, Kannel recollected. He says he was bombarded by Scripture, most of which appears in his book, and admits that it took some time to get used to his new beliefs.
Kannel also said that grew up in the Baptist church and was ordained as a Southern Baptist preacher. While studying at Midwestern, he said he had to affirm the beliefs that he now challenges in his book, but still associates himself with the Baptist denomination.
In discussing his new beliefs--which he admits is a hard message to share, he has interacted with people who share his same convictions. However, Kannel points that the main difference is that he is the only one sharing the perspective.
And while this book makes waves, Kannel said that he is currently working on another book titled "Inheriting the Kingdom", which addresses the same ideas. Throughout both of his works, he says that the Lord has been his major influence.
"Saved?" can be purchased online through the book's publisher, Xenon Press, by visiting their website and searching for "New Releases" in the Bookstore section. It can also be found on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, as an e-book through Google and the Kindle, and at Hastings.
The hard copy will be released in November in some area Christian bookstores. Kannel said that he is also planning some book signing events at a later date in some of the Christian bookstores in Abilene.
No comments:
Post a Comment