Monday, August 29, 2011

Op-Ed: Sweetwater's Texas Theatre

So I JUST found out, reading Sunday's paper here, that my 2nd column was published in the paper! To say I'm shocked...is quite the understatement. I hope you enjoy this read of mine about a recent trip I took with my family to the renovated theater in my hometown.

It was Friday night & since we as a family never do much, it was a nice change to go to the downtown Texas Theatre to watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes. (For those who haven't seen it, it's a great movie--you'll have to watch it.)

But coming home that night, the relief of watching a great movie was mingled with a bit of frustration. I sent an email that very night hoping to make some change and impact, but I figure I would share my letter. Either you will feel the same way as me or you won't, but I hope this goes to show that we all have a voice and--within reason & tact--it's okay to use it.

To whom it may concern:

My name is Belinda Serrano, a lifelong resident of Sweetwater. I have to admit that as a child I rarely went to the theater, but now after coming back home from college and reassembling to life in town, I'm trying to see what the town has to offer. The great prices of the Texas Theatre are one of the reasons I considered making a stop there.

I really appreciate the efforts that are being made to restore the Texas Theatre. When I first went back to watch the showing of Iron Man 2, there wasn't any air conditioning but since that time an A/C unit has been installed and I've watched two films there: the last Harry Potter movie and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The movie selections are great--they're current and among the best that have come out this summer.

I guess, because of the great films being brought to town, that I shouldn't be surprised at the good crowds that have been there as a result. The Saturday matinee of Harry Potter didn't have many people (around 10) while the Friday night showing of "Apes" had an even greater crowd...I would estimate 30 or so. But during my time watching Apes, some problems and concerns arose that I'd like to share with you.

During the film, all ages in attendance talked non-stop during the movie. Adults all around were talking, a group of six teenagers sitting in the front could be heard throughout (and I was sitting in the top section of the theatre), and some kids behind my family and me could be heard--and all of their voices got louder as the film did at times.

A woman brought her baby--no older than a year old--who was either crying or cooing the entire movie, and not one time did she remove herself or the child from the room.

A man sitting next to her was actually in a phone conversation towards the end of the film, and at the end, three young boys who I believe were even part of the "young staff" of the theater ran across the stage mimicking the actions the apes made in the film. When my mother--who was with me--made her complaint about the kids, the only person she could tell was the young man who sold us the tickets, who was probably no more than 15 and obviously wouldn't be able to hand down discipline.

I've been to theaters in Springfield, Missouri on a opening night that was sold out (He's Just Not That Into You) and in Abilene on the Saturday following the release of the final Harry Potter film--both packed with viewers--and I can say on both those occasions the audience had a great respect for watching the film. Yes, there are times to laugh and offer shock through gasps as the movie plays out, but in Springfield and Abilene etiquette was displayed and no one talked or made distractions during the movie that proved to be a problem.

I believe, that with more adult staff and management and even ushers to monitor the actions during the movie, these problems I've mentioned can be brought to a minimum or even to an end in the Sweetwater theatre.

Again, I praise the work that has been done and continues with the Texas Theatre, but I fear that if changes aren't made following the next time I go and watch a movie, my business will go elsewhere. I thank you for your time, and I hope the solutions for the problems presented will be considered.

Sincerely,
Belinda Serrano

Belinda Serrano is a staff writer at the Sweetwater Reporter. Comments on this column can be emailed to bserrano25@yahoo.com or editor@sweetwaterreporter.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment