Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Let's try it again!

Okay, so I tried blogging before, but after two posts and a LONG pause of silence, I've taken it up again. Within the past week, my love for writing has been reignited in me, and I'm seriously considering doing alot more of it, so here goes...

So I'm sitting here getting ready to teach children's church on Sunday and I like to read the lesson references. And yes, I like to read them outside of the KJV...like NKJV, NASB, and the NLT (I know, some people would be like 'what a heathen'...oh well). Our lesson is about Jesus teaching on the golden rule...loving enemies...being nice to others, and I couldn't help but to stop and think about one verse that caught my eye--Luke 6:35 (NLT):

"Love your enemies! Do good to them! Lend to them! And don't be concerned that they might not repay. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked."

Have I seen this done in life? Yes, I think we all have. Have I done this in my own life? Yes, I probably have. And the more I read this--not only this verse, but the passage as a whole (verses 27-38), it says over and over again "Hey, even sinners, even the lost do things like help others and love others. If they can do it, why can't Christians?"

I'm in the church, and I've gotta teach this lesson to 1st through 5th graders. If people they know and see outside of church do this better than us within the church walls, we've got a problem. It's hard, I know...I've been told I don't come off as 'loving' or 'kind'. But, the situation's two-fold: 1) we can teach these kids not to make the same mistakes we do and 2) if we want them to learn it, we have to lead by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment